short and (occasionally) not so short ramblings about the live music that i have "witnessed".

Friday, December 10, 2004

KONK PACK ::

KONK PACK
fluc mensa / vienna, austria
19th nov. 2004

and again at the fluc! christ, i love that place...

anyway, KONK PACK... erm... how to describe KONK PACK. well, basically it's a project of electronics and jazz musicians. it's all about improvisation. they're a 3-piece: tim hodgkinson on guitar and electronics, thomas lehn on synths, roger turner on drums.

ummm... ermmm... blaaa... fuck, why did i want to write this in the first place? i don't know! it was great! but i can't tell you what it sounds like. let me try it this way, i'll tell you what every single member of the band does.
tim, well hey plays flat guitar, mostly in the vein of MASSACRE era frith and he likes to blend in bits and pieces of detuned chords and string noises (glides and scratches and stuff) into it. thomas uses analogue synths (don't ask me which ones, i wouldn't know) and it sounds like early FAUST - basically beeps and feedback loops and aerial distortion and sawtooth wave envelope manipulations and stuff. and roger turner pugilates his drums. it's not only his drums. he has all sorts of percussion and things hanging on his rack: starting with regular bongos and chimes and going all the way to trash bin lids and exhaust pipes. and he fucking devastates it. *lol*

now imagine these 3 guys - all of them top notch jazz instrumentalists - improvising to the general idea of rythm orientated rock. can't imagine it? well, same here... that's why i went to their concert. and it was really good. an experience.

oh yeah, something else. again, i'm not kidding, something funny happened at the fluc. after KONK PACK finished their set a different event was intended to take place at the venue. so everybody had to get out of the venue and check in again if they wanted to be at the other event ("icke micke" club night, very nice electronics clubbing). i had no intention of staying for "icke micke" cuz i was tired as hell, so i grabbed my stuff and headed for the exit. just as i was about to leave one of the bouncers stopped me. he told me to stay next to him and wait. i wanted to know what was up and he told me to be patient, he'd get to me in a second. a couple of minutes later he turned and demanded to see what's in my bag. i opened my bag, let him search it thoroughly. of course he didn't find anything suspicious in there... because there WASN'T ANYHTING SUSPICIOUS IN THERE! when he was done i asked him if i could go now and he replied that he'd like to search my jacket first. i handed over my jacket and wanted to know why the fuck he's shaking me down. no answer. after he was finished with my jacket he demanded to check my denim pockets. that was the last straw. i mean, i am a patient guy, really, but i got my limits, especially when i'm tired. so i did the only reasonable thing to do: i went ballistic on him right there. grabbed him by his scruff and yelled at him who the fuck he thought he was and what the fuck this was all about. that guy, he was so surprised (because i had been absolutely calm before my outburst) that he didn't even defend himself. i mean, the size of that guy, he could've snapped me in two as an afterthought. i yelled and shoved him around a couple more minutes until somebody who was in charge showed up, apologized to me, gave me free entry to the "icke micke" clubbing and went on to give his bouncer a good telling off. so, i stayed at the clubbing. which was good, because... um, let's just say there were female guests that demanded my attention. ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home